Friday, April 12, 2013

Team Babies - Happy Birthday - April 9th, 2013

Over the past couple weeks Curtis and I have been slowly getting things ready - painting the nursery, putting all three cribs together, washing clothes, etc.  I had a feeling Jamie would get to 32 weeks, but with triplets it is SO unknown.  Our Dr. seemed confident she would make it to 34 weeks since her cervix was looking so good.  
I was hanging out at Jamie's house on April 8th - watching the Voice, playing Battleship with the kids like any other night.  I left her house late that night knowing I would see her in the morning at our 32 week, 5 day appointment/ultrasound.  We were both so excited to see how much these babies weighed and make sure everything was still going great.  The next morning I woke up at 4:48am to my phone vibrating.  I see a call from Jamie Dabo and my heart started racing.  I think I was still somewhere between a dream and reality when I hear, "Um...my water just broke."  I immediately jumped out of bed, flipped on the lights and said, "Ok, I'll meet you at the hospital."  Jamie said she was doing fine and she was going to get ready really quick and pack a bag.  I told her to text me when she left for the hospital and I would meet her there.  As soon as we hung up I called Curtis and woke him up with, "Jamie's water just broke!"  I thought for sure they would be able to stop delivery for at least 24 hours so I told Curtis I'd call him from the hospital and update him then, but he decided to just jump in the car and start driving to Utah.  I just remember telling him to drive safe and I couldn't wait to see him.  I got ready and headed to the hospital at 5:35am.  
By the time I got to the hospital Jamie was already in a gown, IV in place, fluids going, baby monitors on her belly and was already dilated to 3.5cm.  She was in so much pain, gripping the side rail on the bed so hard that her knuckles were turning white.  I felt helpless.  I was looking around at everyone like - someone help her!  These babies were coming - and they were coming NOW!  I called Curtis really quick with an update.  Our anesthesiologist was a douche and only let one person in the OR, so I gowned up and rushed with Jamie to the OR while Tyler waited in the Labor and Delivery room.  Things were happening so fast!  Her teeth were chattering from the pain.  She was at her breaking point and couldn't handle much more. They got her balled up on her side (as much as they could with 3 babies still in her belly) and put the spinal in.  She said she had immediate relief after that and felt so much better.  They put a catheter in, scrubbed her belly with betadine, drapped her body, and were ready to cut.  They wouldn't let me film the delivery or watch the actual c-section (lame).  I could only watch the actual births of the babies and snap pictures.  They got a mirror and flipped it so Jamie could see the babies come out too.  
 Putting the spinal in.
 Draping the belly.
 Baby A came out head first - born at 6:57am.
Baby A.
Baby B came out feet first - born at 6:58 am.
Cutting Baby B's cord.
 Baby B.
Baby C came out bum first - born at 6:59am.
 Baby C.
 Right after each baby was born they would pass them through a widow to a team on Dr.'s and RN's to get them stabilized.
After the babies were taken away - Jamie had to get sewn back up.  Tyler and I switched places so he could be with Jamie.  The nurses took me back to Jamie's room.  They wouldn't let me go back to see the babies until they were all stabilized.  It was the LONGEST 5 minutes of my life.  I was so nervous that they weren't doing well.  I called Curtis and gave him a quick update.  He still had 8 hours to drive!  :( Then I got to go meet my precious babies.
Meeting the babies was so surreal.  This moment was finally here.  I've been dreaming about these little miracles for years now.  I was in love from the first moment I heard a heartbeat, but meeting them in person was a whole nother experience.  My heart melted.  I was so incredibly emotional - not the crying my eyes out kind - but I was overwhelmed with emotions.  I wish I could explain it, but I'm not a very good writer.  I finally felt like a mom.  So crazy!
Curtis wanted me to wait for him to get there before we announced their names.
Baby A
4lb. 5oz. - 17.5in.
 He was doing so well.  No oxygen was needed.  He could maintain his O2 sats on room air. What a champ!  They put him on monitors to watch his vital signs.  He had to get an IV for prophylactic antibiotics, fluids, and nutrition.
 Baby A and Mommy.
 Baby B
4lb. 5oz. - 18in.
He was doing just as good as his brother.  No oxygen needed.  He was placed on monitors and got an IV as well.
Baby B and mommy. 
 Baby B
Baby C
4lb. 15oz - 17.5in.
Baby girl was struggling a little more than the boys.  She was having a hard time breathing on her own.    She was having chest retractions, nasal flaring, and grunting - all signs of respiratory distress.  She was having trouble maintaining her oxygen saturation so they placed her on O2 and CPAP.  The CPAP helps blow pressure in her lungs to expand them.  She also had an oral gastric (OG) tube placed down her mouth and into her belly.  It helps relieve the extra air they are blowing in with the CPAP.  She got an IV placed just like the boys. 
 After I met the babies I wanted to go check on Jamie and see how she was doing.  She's seriously such a rock star.  I've never had that much love and respect for one person in my entire life.  Truly the most self-less thing anyone could ever do.  She just gave us a family!  When people say, "My heart was so full", I never understood what they meant until now.  Amazing.
 They wheeled Jamie down to see the babies before they took her to recovery.
Baby A
Baby B
 Baby C
 The nurses asked me if I wanted to hold my boys.  Are you kidding me?!  Of course I want to hold them!  I called Curtis to see if he was ok with me holding them without him.  His response was, "Are you kidding me?  Of course you can."  :)  I knew he would say that, but I just wanted to make sure.
 Pure and utter love.  Holding my son for the first time is like nothing I have ever felt before.


Holding Baby B for the first time. 
I couldn't totally hold Baby C yet, so I just lifted her up and kissed her.
Later that day they placed an umbilical arterial line on Baby C.  They need to draw blood gasses frequently and make sure her oxygen, carbon dioxide, and pH levels were improving. 
 My sister and mom came down that afternoon to meet the babies.
Changing Baby A's diaper for the first time.  He pooped the first day.
Taking Baby A's temperature.
Curtis finally got there at 3:15pm.  He drove like a mad man and made it in 10 hours.  We introduced him to Baby A first.  His face was priceless.  He got a little teary eyed.
Meeting Baby B.
Proud parents! 
 He definitely got emotional meeting Baby C.  I was trying to keep him updated on her during his drive, but he said I made her sound a lot worse than she really was.  I think I was using nursing terminology instead of explaining things simpler.  He was so scared that she was really sick, so when he met her and saw that everything was decent, he was so relieved.  She was definitely struggling more than the boys, but she was going to be okay.


She will never truly know thankful we are.  She seriously is on amazing woman! 
Daddy doing oral care on Baby B.
My sweet little girl. 
Curtis got to hold the boys the first day too.  He was so nervous.  He held Baby B first.















Then he got to hold Baby A.






 Jamie with Baby A.
Amazing.

22 comments:

jess and lacy said...

Wow, Kim. This is just amazing. So incredibly happy for you guys!

Unknown said...

Kim that made me tear up! Congrats on your babies. Jamie is amazing! Your babies are precious!

Josh and Megan said...

I can't stop crying! These pictures just make me soooooo happy! I'm so happy and relieved that your precious children are with you now! Jamie, you really are an angel!

Alice Anne said...

I love you guys! This is the most awesome story I've ever heard. Totally worth the wait, huh? They are amazing! I'm so glad everything went so well and they are so healthy!

Lindsy Hartsock said...

Congrats both of you! Triplets will be a wild ride but you can do it! :) They are so darn precious, and your whole birth process truly is amazing! I wish you all the best!!

Josie said...

Love all of this. You both are going to be amazing parents. My heart is so full for all of you!!

Linda said...

I'm totally bawling...that's just beautiful. Can't...stop...crying with happiness for you all.

Annie said...

you certainly don't know me, but i have been following you for a while now. (alice told about you on her blog:)) i have loved every minute of it! congrats to you and your beautiful family! miracles do happen. every single day!!!

Ruth said...

So glad to get it all from the mommy! Loved the pictures of the whole thing. Continually praying for all of you!!!! Love ya,

AlesaJay said...

Totally brought tears to my eyes!! absolutely amazing... so happy for you guys <3<3 welcome to "motherhood" and congratulations!!!!

Unknown said...

That seriously just made me cry....u have one amazing family!!!!

Unknown said...

OMG!! I AM SO SO SO HAPPY AND OVERJOYED SEEING THESE GORGEOUS ANGELS AND ONLY IMAGINING WHAT YOU AND CURTIS ARE FEELING. THE WAY YOU WRITE ABOUT THE WHOLE EXPERIENCE......I CANT HELP BUT CRY AND FEEL THE DEPTH OF LOVE THAT BOTH YOU AND CURTIS FEELING FOR THE TRIPPIES AND YOUR SISTER IN LAW, JAMIE.
JAMIE...YOU ARE A SPECIAL, INCREDIBLE, STRONG AND AMAZING WOMAN!! CONGRATS TO YOU AND CARRYING THESE BABIES AS LONG AS YOU DID. CONGRATS ON DELIVERING HEALTHY, HEAVY AND STRONG BABIES. WISHING YOU A QUICK, SAFE, HEALTHY RECOVERY.
CONGRATS TO THE NEW MOMMY AND DADDY!! YOU'RE DREAMS ARE HERE AND THERE ARE MANY MORE BLESSINGS TO COME. THESE 3 ARE SO BLESSED TO HAVE YOU TWO AS PARENTS. CANT WAIT TO SEE THESE BABIES. I LOVE YOU TWO. ALTHOUGH I DONT KNOW JAMIE.....I LOVE HER JUST AS MUCH.
THIS IS AN INSPIRING STORY AND I HOPE MANY MANY MORE CAN DO THIS FOR THOSE WHO STRUGGLE HAVING CHILDREN AND FOR THOSE WHO ARE ABLE TO HAVE CHILDREN.... I HOPE THEY CAN APPRECIATE THEIRS.
I KNOW I DO.

LOVE AND ALOHA TO THE BROWN FAMILY.
LOVE AND ALOHA TO TYLER AND JAMIE ALSO.

#unconditionallove#amazing#blessing#inspiring#christlikelove#unforgettable#

Unknown said...

That last post was from me......Jenika Iongi. LOVE YOU GUYS!!

Alicia and Daniel said...

Congratulations!! I have loved reading your story!! Your babies are BEAUTIFUL and Jamie is one amazing person to be blessed with!! You both will be amazing parents....can you post their names now?! :-) I can't wait to some day meet them!! xoxo The Coats Crew :-)

Holly said...

So, so amazing!!! The pictures melted my heart. Congratulations!!! What a wonderful ending to an incredible story. Jamie is truly amazing. So sorry Curtis couldn't be there for the birth, but so happy you're all together now. And I'm amazed at how well the babies are doing!!! My first was in the NICU for 3 wks & had to come home on oxygen--and he was one day overdue even! We are so happy for your little family! Hope everything continues to go well!

Charlie said...

Aww what a bunch of cuties! Congratulations. I look forward to reading about your new exciting journey as parents of triplets!

cPk said...

Congratulations!! I'm so incredibly happy for you. What a miracle they are all here safe and sound!
Love and prayers!
Kristen Varley Paulson

Blake said...

Ok Kim, that was inspiring and very touching. I am glad you guys shared it. I am so happy for your young family and consider this story a great miracle in many ways. What beautiful babies and I predict the girl ends up being the strongest of the three.

Angela said...

loved all the pics and the whole post! You will love reading that in the years to come! They are soooo precious. So happy for all of you.xoox

Kristin said...

Just heard your story through the news and came to your blog. I'm bawling my eyes out. I'm the adoptive mom of two kids so I can understand a bit of what it's like to be so grateful to someone for carrying a child for you and then feeling so many emotions waiting to hold that baby. It's really a unique experience and in your case even more star. BTW - your sister in law looks amazing after having given birth to triplets!

Unknown said...

Wow was so much amazed at the photos what a big blessing and very etraordinarly expirence😀😀😀

Bjaa said...

This is indeed a great testimony! Wow!!
God bless your home kim.
God bless Jamie for being a blessing to you all.
I follow your family on instagram and i am so speechless on how the story is!! You've got a blessed family!!