Wednesday, May 5, 2010

School's Out

Wow! It's amazing how much I can accomplish in one day when I'm not in school!! :) I slept in, vacuumed the house, cleaned the kitchen, got my ring re-sized, went grocery shopping, made dinner (I made double so I could take 1/2 to my neighbor who just had a baby boy), did 3 loads of laundry, packed for my trip to CA tomorrow, played with Tyson, bought and sent Mother's Day cards, went to the gym, gave myself a pedicure, studied for the NCLEX, watched American Idol, etc. My life changes when I'm not in school!! :)
Okay, so my mom and sister LOVE to cook...but I don't get it. First of all, it's expensive to eat healthy, it takes a LONG time to prepare everything (maybe I'm just slow) and clean up...and then minutes to eat it. I like to clean up as I cook so there's not a huge mess after, which also takes time. I would SO much rather drive to Costa Vida...order take out...and eat it at home. No prep time, no clean up, and almost just as much money. :) Maybe one day I'll learn to love to cook.
Today I made Mexican Chicken Soup (from Ina Garten) since it's Cinco de Mayo!! :) You can get the recipe at http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/mexican-chicken-soup-recipe/index.html. It's REALLY good, but takes some time to roast the chicken, chop up the ingredients, etc. It tastes great topped with sour cream, guacamole, tortilla chips...mmm... I also made two loaves of bread, salad, dressing. I was quite proud of myself if you can't tell. :) I guess home cooked meals have the added benefit of being really tasty!

Roasted chicken
Prep work
Finished product!

Bread raising...

Braided



Finished product!

Yummy salad!

4 comments:

Josh and Megan said...

WOW!!! looks good kim! I wish so much that I could SLEEP IN!!! I'm jealous!...ENJOY IT!!

Stephanie said...

yeah!! the bread looked delicious!!!

The Dabo's said...

First of all, you need a kid. Or you can just borrow one of mine. I would love to do all those things you just listed in ONE day.
Second, EAT OUT! This is the time to do it because once you have a couple of kids it get's way too expensive to just run to Costa Vida. So enjoy it, you have the rest of your life to cook for your family and you will learn to love it. Your dinner looked great! I am sure your neighbor loved it.
Lastly, have fun in California!

Monica said...

You are soo cute :)